Building a relationship takes place over time. You get to know one another through experiences you have together, beginning to understand the reasons and the why behind your personalities. No matter if your relationship is built on romance, friendship or even blood relation – the people in your life are the most important part of it. And, without your favorite people, life can be pretty tough. Unfortunately, sometimes – relationships end. For a variety of reasons – a falling out, a difference of opinion, a move and even death – and learning how to let go of those relationships can be some of the most challenging times in life. While talking about dealing with the end of a relationship can help, there’s no getting around it – if you’re sad, you’re sad. If you didn’t want to say goodbye and you had to, it will be a challenge of inexplicable proportions, but there are ways to help yourself get through it all and get your day-to-day life back on track. Here’s a look at 6 ways to let go of someone you never thought you’d say goodbye to.
- Fill your life with people and new relationships. Everyone needs a life full of relationships for a sense of fulfillment, so let yourself meet new people and move on. New relationships have the power to become just as important as the old ones, but to make that happen – you have to give it a chance.
- Allow yourself the opportunity to process the relationship. No matter whether it was a good or bad relationship, having the chance to reflect is absolutely essential for giving yourself the opportunity to understand it all.
- Be open to new love. Closing off your heart is definitely not the way to help yourself move on, so giving yourself the chance to being open to new love is essential. You may be down and out, but you also never know if that next special someone is around the corner.
- Give yourself time. It sounds so cliché, but in all honesty time really does help with the healing process. Some forms of sadness, take a lot longer to pass than others – but missing someone has the power to hurt more than anything else. You have every right to give yourself the chance to heal, so take it.
- If you need to cry yourself asleep, it’s OK. Your heart is gonna hurt, there’s no getting around it, so why not give yourself a chance to be sad? But you know what? Once you’ve been sad for a while, pick yourself up and get ready to keep trucking along.
- Create a life built on the best parts of the relationships that have made you who you are. Everyone that comes in (and out) of your life helps build your character and will forever be a part of what makes you, you.
Have you ever had to say goodbye to someone you love? How did you cope?