Have you heard about the Paleo diet? It’s the latest diet for many superstars (including rumored celebs like Jessica Biel, Megan Fox and Matthew McConaughey) but in essence it’s been around for years. It’s a modern version of the way our ancestors ate during the Paleolithic era – 10,000 years ago! Paleo focuses on foods that could be hunted and gathered during the “caveman” era like veggies, nuts, fruit, poultry, seafood and grass-fed meats (for a full list of Paleo approved foods, click here). Modern day processed foods are discouraged, but you can incorporate a limited amount of healthy oils. Founded by Dr. Loren Cordain, check out this roundup of the pros and cons of the Paleo diet.
Curious? The Pros & Cons of the Paleo Diet
Pro’s of the Paleo diet
- Rich in fiber, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Naturally gluten free.
- Low in sugar.
- Low in salt.
- No calorie counting or guessing what portion size is the right size.
- Improved energy levels.
Con’s of the Paleo diet
- Meat heavy diet. (could be high in fat)
- Falls short on calcium & vitamin D.
- If you have a limited grocery budget, this can get pretty pricey.
- Overly restrictive – can be a challenge for some people.
While the pros and cons of going Paleo may leave you wondering if it’s worth the effort – it’s a healthier approach to consider! Would you give the Paleo diet a try? Do you know anyone who has?