The Secret Is Out - I Quit Smoking
I am going to share a dirty secret with you. On Thanksgiving I confessed to my Facebook community that I quit smoking. Many of you probably didn't even know I took on this habit because to be honest, I wasn't proud of it. I'm so happy to now say that it doesn’t control me anymore and hoping my personal journey inspires you. I have smoked cigarettes since I was 16 years old. Yes, you read that correctly. For decades I've been a smoker with the exception of being pregnant with my daughter Amber and my brain surgery which I stopped smoking for those times only. It’s a horrible habit that was first acquired from peer pressure and then it became something that I depended on. Ridiculous I know! This habit has controlled me for so many years and many times I would hide it because we are in the business of health and wellness. It was time to come clean.
After a checkup with my doctor a few weeks ago, he told me my heart and lungs were in perfect condition - I was so happy and surprised. I felt it was Gods way of giving me a chance to start over and live a long life with my brothers and sister, my husband JR , Amber and my beautiful grandkids. I decided November 1st would be the day I would forever stop smoking. I knew how hard and challenging it would be. I knew my doctor wouldn’t allow me to take the patch or chantex and I would have to go cold turkey. WOW. I didn’t know what I was in for but I knew it would be as hard as giving up the worst type of drug. Some people say quitting nicotine is as hard as quitting heroine. Now I have no idea what that is like but I will tell you that the last few weeks have been the hardest days in many ways- but I DID IT! I AM DOING IT AND I WILL SUCCEED. I'm proud to say I haven't smoked since.
I've had some emotional days but I knew and discussed with my husband that I needed to come off the daily grid and do this for myself. That would mean more work for him and a less than nice Loren. Lol. But we made it. I love you for all your support and encouragement. Just do it. There is no better time than now. You can do anything you set your mind to. I am proud of myself.
Glad this secret is out and a part of my past. And I am thankful today for God giving me the strength to get through these last few weeks. I am officially a NON-SMOKER. I don’t smoke and I will never smoke again. I am happy and while I am still battling moments during the day, I am so grateful my husband talks it through with me and we won this war together. I am gonna make it. I made it. I did it... and so can you. With great love and more breath... XO Loren
TIPS FOR QUITTING
- Identify your WHY and keep reminding yourself daily why you decided to quit. For me, my why is being healthy enough to enjoy every second of life with my family.
- Talk to your doctor about what options you have to help support you during this process. I had to quit cold turkey but you maybe able to leverage the patch or medication.
- Create a support group that will check in on you and hold you accountable.
- Start a new hobby to distract you! Exercising also can be a big help for some people to burn off some steam.
- Treat yourself when you hit your milestone goal. JR and Amber surprised me with a beautiful gift and it's the best reminder to never look back.