Long or short, nothing looks as chic as a clean, polished set of nails. The problem is how to make them last and appear as great as the first day. The trick is to start from the very base (as is the case with makeup) and ensure you have a smooth surface. Then protect it with a few properly applied layers of base, polish and top coat. Read on for 6 tips on making your manicure last.
How to Make Your Manicure Last
1. Buff out any ridges and scales – Start with a smooth base. Make sure to file and buff any ridges and splits that can cause polish to chip.
2. Apply a base coat – Always apply a base coat to protect your delicate nail from the paint – it should never be applied directly.
3. Use 2-3 coats of polish – Layering on the nail color provides a thicker, stronger coat that is less likely to chip.
4. Apply a top coat – A glossy top coat combo will seal in your color and make it less likely for paint to chip off or nails to break.
5. Set it – Apply setting drops or setting spray immediately after the process to protect and dry your color/top coat and prevent any chips.
6. Shine on again – After a few days, when the top coat begins to wear off and nails begin to appear dull again, reapply with a gloss/top coat, clean around the edges with a nail polish remover pen, and reapply the setting spray or drops.
It’s also important to have the right tools. This little nail kit is an essential in my beauty box. How do you keep your manicure in top shape?