For many of us Labor Day means a weekend full of BBQ’s, time on the boat, at the beach, picnics, parades and in a nutshell – lots of fun in the sun. The final weekend of summer before many kids head back to school, Labor Day is one big celebration of the season. Whether you’re tanning poolside, firing up the grill or playing bartender, check out these tips for staying healthy this Labor Day without sacrificing a moment of fun!
6 Tips for a Healthy Labor Day Weekend
- Make smart food decisions. Rather than loading up on burgers and other high-fat meats, alternate with lots of fresh veggies, salads and fruit. Have you ever tried grilled fruits (they’re delicious!) or veggie kabobs as an alternative to meat? Give it a shot, you’ll love it.
- Make this Labor Day an active holiday. Start the weekend out right with a family bike ride or a hike to get everyone moving before the big BBQ. (You could even try a local 5K!)
- Skip the chips and dip and opt for lighter snacks. Fresh baby carrots and hummus, Greek yogurt and strawberries or even cucumber slices and tzatziki dip are excellent alternatives.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! This is the perfect weekend to lather up – and more than once. (every two hours is great)
- Spend some time in the shade. If you’re outside all weekend long trying to catch the last rays of summer, make sure you get some time out of the sun. Give your skin a break!
- Stay hydrated. Between the hot sun, cocktails and lots of yummy food, it may be tough to remember to drink enough water. Bring a water bottle with you and make sure you’re drinking enough to refill throughout the day.
What are your weekend plans? Do you have any tips for staying healthy this Labor Day?