As a slight chill starts to fill the air, there’s no doubt people will be spending more time indoors. And while there are a lot of great things to watch on Netflix, why not learn something new in your free time? There are a lot of cool apps and websites available with so many offerings, there’s no doubt everyone can find an interesting class to sign up for.
The best part is, all the sites listed below have courses that are completely free. Some skills could even help you make more money at your current job or possibly encourage you to start a new career. You just have to follow through and dedicate yourself like you would with school.
How to Learn a New Skill Online This Fall (For Free!)
Here’s a list of some of my favorites:
- Coursera– My favorite website/app because it features some of the top universities including Duke, Penn State, Ohio State University, and Northwestern. Some courses currently available include Introduction to Psychology, The Science of Gastronomy, Introduction to Marketing, and Introduction to Guitar. Both the app and the website have topics broken down into many categories.
The best part is if you don’t want a certification at the end, most classes are free!
- EdX– Another great place to find classes from top universities is EdX, though they seem to focus a lot more in tech courses. There are different levels you can take as well so if you have a bachelor’s degree, there are some master’s level courses that will be more challenging. You can sign up for anything from Astrophysics, Nutrition: Healthy Food for Better Living, World Religion, and Video Game Design.
Apps are available for both Apple and Android platforms.
- Alison– Do you want to improve your photo taking skills? The end of the year is near and maybe you want to shoot some photos of your family for your holiday cards. You can sign up for Harvard’s Digital Photography course through Alison for free. You can also pick up some skills that can help you improve at your job like with the Time Management course, which is also free.
They don’t have any apps available yet but their website is pretty easy to follow.
- iTunesU- If you have an iPhone, iPad or a Mac-based computer you can use iTunesU. They have a wide variety of topics that include videos, class discussions and the ability to ask one-on-one questions.
The only downside is you can’t use it if you have an Android.
- Code Academy– If you’re looking for a new career, you might want to consider looking into coding. It’s a whole new world out there and many women are learning how to code. It’s completely free and something that you can possibly help you earn more money. The site says there are currently 25 million learners from around the world that have taken the leap.