The countdown to 2020 has officially begun! In just a few days, the clock will strike midnight, and a new century begins. Why put off starting new goals or ticking items off your bucket list until next year? Let’s be honest; we don’t know if we’ll still be here tomorrow. Here are 20 things to do before 2020. The fun starts now!
Studies suggest that it takes anywhere from 18 days to 66 days (on average) to break a bad habit and make a new behavior automatic. By starting now, you’re starting the new year strong.
1. Write a list of everything you want to achieve next year. Now, create a plan with a timeline. There is no greater soul boost then starting the new year on a high, already crossing items off your list to get where you want to be quicker.
2. Write a new bucket list. Start working towards ticking items off your list now. For example, if one of your things is to go on the trip of a lifetime, start saving for it now so that you can book it in January when travel costs are usually lower. Have the money already? Book your ticket months in advance now for amazing Earlybird deals.
3. If you’re planning to change your job or career next year, start updating your resume and looking for your dream role now. January is the most popular month of the year for people to hand in their notice and change companies, so you want to get ahead of the game.
4. Commit to your health and putting yourself first. You can start this today and continue as you mean to go on after the clock strikes twelve on New Year’s Eve.
5. Check your circle. Ask yourself if everyone surrounding you has been a positive, supportive presence this year. Start distancing yourself from those who only brought toxic drama and negative emotions this year.
6. Make a conscious decision to cut your TV or Netflix time next year to focus on productive activities such as self-development. Motivate yourself by writing a list of the books you’d like to read – start ordering them online now or ask for them as Christmas gifts from loved ones.
7. Take time out for yourself every week. Make time to soak in a long bubble bath, apply a face mask, or visit a spa. Self-care is important. We have to learn how to manage our work and personal life stress in 2020 better. Happiness and inner peace is everything.
8. Start your own business. Side hustles can become lucrative revenue streams. Become a Motives Cosmetics Beauty Advisor, or start writing your business plan for an idea you’ve been formulating all year. Start now so that you’re well on your way by the end of December (while everyone else is making last-minute New Year’s Resolutions).
9. Start planning to write an e-book or a book. Both will continue to be popular marketing trends in 2020 and can help boost sales for existing businesses, products, and services.
10. Update your closet. New year, new you. Start dressing as the evolved version of you that you aspire to be next year.
11. Refresh your home with a new feature wall, updated wall colors, and accessories. Redecorating doesn’t have to be expensive. A few little interior design updates can change the whole vibe of your home.
12. Starting a new hobby can bring new friends and can be a new way to relieve stress. If you’re not sure what you’ll enjoy, start experimenting now. Almost every business imaginable, especially health and fitness, will be offering crazy discounts in January. Be ready so that you can take advantage of limited-time offers.
13. Ditch the toxic behaviors. You know what they are. Start weaning yourself off now so that you can start the new year as a better version of yourself.
14. Start being kinder to yourself. Train your inner voice to speak only positively.
15. Have a clear out to de-clutter your home. Disorder increases stress and brings chaos. Clear the energy pathways in your home and start 2020 with a calmer, more positive vibe.
16. Organize a photoshoot alone, with your significant other or family. Photoshoots are super fun, confidence-building, and you get lots of great content to keep forever.
17. Release your inner child. Do something you always wanted to do as a child but never got around to, or weren’t allowed to do.
18. Plan a day packed with fun stuff you’ve always wanted to do. Pack a bag, go on a solo road trip, stay at a luxury hotel you’ve always lusted after. Whatever your preference, plan it, go forth, and enjoy a day all about you.
19. Forgive and make amends. Whoever hurt you this year, no matter how badly, let it go. Don’t go into a new year with bad energy. Karma has you covered. If a relationship you care about fell apart this year, reach out and make the first move to make amends.
20. Make a list of all of your accomplishments so far this year. It’s important to celebrate yourself and reflect on how far you’ve come already. Pat yourself on the back and be thankful for every lesson and achievement this year. Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for attracting more blessings.
What do you plan to do before 2020? Tweet me @lorenridinger.