10 Art Basel Miami 2011 Events You Can’t Miss
If you live in Miami or just visiting you will notice the Art Basel has taken over the city! From large massive light installations to over-sized tents in every corner, graffiti walls, and a slew of celebrities Art Basel has become Miami’s Art utopia. Once again the magic city is filled with art fairs, private parties, fashion shows, and amazing food. From Midtown to Wynwood, Design District, Brickell, Downtown, and South Beach all ready hosting the most fabulous parties and events anyone and everyone around the world has ever seen! In-case your a virgin or a veteran here are my 10 Art Basel Miami 2011 events you can’t miss.
1. Mr. Brainwash Pop-Up Exhibit: Mr. Brainwash, street artist Thierry Guetta, rocketed to fame thanks to the Banksy film, Exit Through the Gift Shop. He returns to Miami for Art Basel with another pop-up exhibit at the condo space, Boulan South Beach. Last year he lined the building with armed storm troopers and a giant Albert Einstein figure with a sign: Love Is the Answer. (See below video.) (Wednesday through Sunday)
2. Shop Wynwood Walls: High-end brands such as Christian Dior and Pringle of Scotland are opening temporary shops for Basel. For the rest of us with reasonable budgets, Shop Wynwood Walls is the more accessible of this year’s pop-ups. Look for limited edition T-shirts and prints by Wynwood Walls artists, including Shepard Fairey, Ryan McGinness, and Nunca. (Through Sunday)
3. Seth Browarnik Art of Night: Get a glimpse of the celebrity photographer most exclusive photos. The show features 50 photos from a catalogue of close to a million and will give you a glimpse into what only he gets to see behind the velvet topes, VIP room and the stuff people only read about in the magazines. Sagamore Hotel.
4. Innovative Interiors: The official sister fair to Art Basel, Design Miami/ is a celebration of applied design – think home accessories, furniture, and other functional yet beautiful objects. There’s always a healthy dose of mid-century eye candy, but this year, the main attraction is a luminous LCD floor installation. (Wednesday through Sunday)
5. Urban Zen, Donna Karan’s personal retail business, will have a pop-up store at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) during Art Basel Miami Beach and throughout the holidays. Artwork, jewelry, and home accessories produced by Haitian artisans will be featured, made from stone, wood, paper, metal, tobacco leaves and horn and transformed into objects of beauty. Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)770 N.E. 125th Street, North Miami
6. Miami Beach will host the 10th edition of Art Basel Miami Beach, the most prestigious art show in the Americas. Art Basel Miami Beach combines an international selection of top galleries with an exciting program of special exhibitions, parties, and crossover events featuring music, film, architecture, and design. An exclusive selection of more than 260 leading art galleries from North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and Africa will exhibit 20th and 21st century artworks by over 2,000 artists. Miami Beach Convention Center (Art Galleries, Art Nova, Art Positions, Art Kabinett)
7. Graffiti Gone Global, powered by SushiSamba, will host its 5th consecutive exhibition of urban contemporary art and design, featuring three acclaimed artists: Marc Fornes, Volkan Alkanoglu and Billi Kid of Public Works Department, who will transform Midtown’s glass Rotunda spache Rotunda3252 N.E. 1st Avenue, Suite 101, Midtown 305-751-9641
8. Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, in collaboration with Artspace, will debut Rush Arts Gallery’s 15th Anniversary Print Portfolio 15 x 15 during Art Week in Miami. The complete portfolio, exhibiting the work of 15 Rush alumni, is a provocative cross-section that highlights Rush’s roster of celebrated artists and will be on view from December 1 to 4. 260 N.W. 25th Street, Wynwood Art District
9. Spotify has joined forces with Ricochet to bring four evenings where art and music meet during Art Week. The series, presented in association with 42 Below and Perrier®, will bring world-renowned visual artists, performers and DJs together each night with live performances nightly. Ricochet Bar & Lounge3250 N.E. 1st Avenue, Suite 122B, Midtown Miami
10. Miguel Paredes To Celebrate Art Basel Across Miami: From Wynwood To South Beach Thursday, Dec 1 12:00p Miguel Paredes Fine Art Gallery, MiamiCelebrated Miami-based pop and multi-media artist, sculptor, and urban realist, Miguel Paredes will open his 6,000 square foot gallery in Miami’s Wynwood Arts district to the public every day starting Dec.