10 Facts About Amy Winehouse
July 24th, 2011
Amy Winehouse born on September 14 1983. Known for her soulful voice and thick black eyeliner, the British singer was credited as as an influence in the rise in popularity of female musicians and soul music, and also for revitalising British music. Many credited Winehouse as musical genius as a singer and song-writer, having won 3 Grammys including ‘best new artist of the year’ in 2000. At the young age of 27, on July 23, Amy was found dead at her London home. Said to be a lost soul, Amy one of the most talented musicians and songwriters of our generation will truly be missed, but her music will live with us forever in hearts. Here are 10 facts about Amy Winehouse.
1. Amy Winehouse was only 5′ft 2′ inches.
2. Winehouse’s distinctive style made her a muse for fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld.
3. Amy Winehouse’s song “Rehab” is based on her past refusal to attend an alcohol rehabilitation centre after it was encouraged by her management company.
4. Her favorite artists include Nas, Mos Def, Teena Marie, Beastie Boys, Carol King, Mahalia Jackson and Thelonious Monk.
5. Winehouse was born in the Southgate area of north London to a Jewish family, who were influential toward her interest in jazz.
6. Lady Gaga credited Winehouse with paving the way for her rise to the top of the charts.
7. Winehouse won 3 Grammy Awards for best new album of the year, Song of the year and Record of the year.
8. Her famous beehive was as high as 6 inches.
9. In 2008 Bryan Adams wrote a song for Amy Winehouse in a bit to help her overcome her drug habit. The song titled Flower Grown Wild, is about the dangers of drug-taking.
10. Singer Tony Bennett recorded a song with Winehouse for his forthcoming album, Duets II, which is scheduled for release on September 20, 2011.